Eleazar Wheelock, letter, to William Livingston, 1765 February 19


abstractWheelock writes that Occom has had to return home from his mission, that the petition for incorporation has been postponed, and that the king would like the school to be moved to the Illinois River and put under Episcopal management.

handwritingInformal handwriting is small and crowded, with several additions and deletions. There are some uncrossed t’s that have been corrected by transcriber

paperSingle sheet is in good condition, with light-to-moderate creasing, staining and wear.


noteworthyThis document appears to be a draft.

EventsOccom’s First Mission to the Oneidas, Mason Land Case

  My dear Sir. 
I Suppose M.r Brainerd inform'd You of the  Sad con[illegible]ſequen[illegible]tſ of M.r Occom's returning as he did from  New York after he Sat out on his Tour for the Indian  Country — My Prayer for an Incorporation was  Suſpended 'till M[illegible][guess: y]ay next by our Gen.l Aſsembly on  Acco.t of the Reports, & Jealouſies of his being active  in the old Maſon Case, as it is Calld, which is of late  revived, in which M.r Occoms Tribe are Plaintiff againſt  the Government. and I fear the Biaſs on the minds  of people is Such that there is little proſpect of my  Succeſs in a further Application.
I have had nothing from Gen.l Lyman Since I wrote  you. but underſtand he has made his Pitch on the  Illi[illegible]nois River. And conclude from the Nature of  the Case as well as from Hints in the public News  that it would be agreable to his Majesty and all  about him to have this School carried thither  with the General ([illegible]if a Grant there Should be made  him) provided they could have reaſonable Aſsuranc[gap: worn_edge][guess: e]  that Episcop[illegible][guess: ac]y would be encouraged & promoted  by it. —
Several Gentlemen have Aſsured me that large ^Donations^ and  as large as I pleaſed would be made by the Society  you ^mention^ Speak of ^in yours of Augt 29.^ if I would only Submitt the School  to their Conduct. But M.r DeBerdt & others think  there is no Hope of Favour being Shewn by them ^from that Quarter^  tofor a Diſcenter from that Eſtabliſhment
If You and a Number of Gentlemen of Character and  Influence Should write the General or other Suitable  Gentlemen ^at Home^ in Favour of the Deſign it might be of Special  Service 
[left]Letter to W.m Livingſton Eſq.r  Feby 19. 1765.
Service to [illegible]itThe Deſign
I have been adviſed by Some to aſk the Favour of an  Eſtabliſhment from ^Incorporation in^ Your Government^Province^ and to fix the School  in Some place within the Same conviently Situate for  the Purpose —
My own Pariſh & the friſt Society in Hebron are Now  Subſcribing towards a Building &c for it provided ^to invite^ its be‐  ‐ing Settledm.t among them, & many Appear very Zealous for it.  when they have done You will likely know what Sums they  offer for it. —
I Sent a Prayer to Your Board of Corriſpondents that they  Some weeks ago, that they would unite their Endeavours with  ours in these parts in promoting the General Deſign, and  in order thereto that they would Send the Rev. John Brain‐  ‐erd to Europe this Spring with an Indian from this ſchool  to Sollicit the Charities of Good people towards the Support  of thise School & Miſsionaries, but have heard nothing of it ſince.  I directed it to Wm Peartree Smith Esqr ^of [illegible][guess: Eliza] town^. If it has not reachd  them I Should be glad to know it as Soon as poſsible, for  it will Soon be too late to Accompliſh what will be neceſsary  preparatory to their going ^So Seaſonably as on many accots will [illegible][guess: be beſt]^. I Should have firſt [illegible]calld ^obtain[illegible][guess: d] a meeting of^ our  Board together but the Snow was ^(& is Still)^ So Deep that it was  not Practicable. — andor if they ^your Com̅iſs.rſ^ have had a meeting &  have acted upon it I Should be glad of a Return as ſoon  as poſsible by the Poſt in order to lay y.e ſame before this Board.
My Son left me 2 months ago when he Sat out on his  Journey to Princeton &c and I expected to have heard  from him by the Poſt next poſt after his arival but  have had no News of him ſince he left New [illegible]Haven. If  you can inform me any thing of him, pray be So good  as to do it by the Next Poſt. & direct it to the Care of  M.r Ichabod Robinſon of Lebanon.^#^
[right]^#^I have been more anxious  to hear from him Since on acco.t of a  late report among us ^w.c agrees to him in many Circumſtances^ that a Traveller in  your Gov.t paſsd his way and periſhed in y.e Cold & could not be known from whence he was.
I aſk your Pardon  for Such a Lengthy Scrawl. and am with Sincereſt  Reſpect, ^my dear Sir.^ yours moſt heartily
Eleazar Wheelock