Warrensburg

Variant name of place:

Warran’s Bush; Warren Bush

Geographic position:

43.4967° N, 73.7750° W

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

"Local History of the Town of Warrensburg." First Wilderness Heritage Corridor. Web. http://www.firstwilderness.com/warrensburg/; Parisi, Sandi. "History of Warrensburg." Warrensburg Historian. Web. http://www.warrensburghistorian.org/; Smith, H.P. History of Warren County. Syracuse: D. Mason & Co. Publishers 1885. Web. https://archive.org/stream/cu31924083944151/cu31924083944151_djvu.txt; "Warrensburg History." Adirondack Country Homes. Web. http://www.adirondackcountryhomes.com/History_Warrensburg.htm; Van Dyke, Marilyn. "54 Facts About Warren County." Warren County Historical Society, 2005. Web. http://www.warrencountyhistoricalsociety.org/history-of-warren-county/54-facts-about-warren-county/; Geo coordinates at https://www.google.com/#q=geographic+coordinates+of+warrensburg+ny.

General note:

Warrensburg is a town in east central New York located between the Hudson River and Lake George. These bodies of water provide a direct route from Long Island Sound to Canada by way of the Hudson River, Lake George, and Lake Champlain, thus opening the area to European settlement and missionary activities. Wheelock sent missionaries and school teachers there, and in his later years, Occom traversed the area as an itinerant preacher. Before European contact, the region switched possession between the Algonquins and Mohawks, who eventually claimed it. The first colonists were French; they remained until 1763, when the English drove them out of New York and French Canada at the conclusion of the French and Indian War. The area surrounding Warrensburg saw much of the war’s early fighting, including the Battle of Lake George in 1755. Following the Revolutionary War, the State of New York patented the Warrensburgh Tract, subdividing it to pay off soldiers. The area became popular with settlers coming up the Hudson, including William Bond, who became Warrensburg’s first settler in 1786. Occom visited Warrensburg, which he called Warren’s Bush, in 1789, near the end of his life. Spurred by the mill and lumber industries, the town grew and was incorporated as Warrensburgh in 1813. Upon encouragement from the Post Office, the town dropped the "h" from its name and became Warrensburg in 1894.