New Milford

Geographic position:

41.5833° N, 73.4000°

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

http://www.newmilford.org/content/3084/default.aspx. Geo coordinates at https://www.google.com/#q=geographic+coordinates+of+new+milford.

General note:

New Milford is a town in Litchfield County on the western border of Connecticut along the Housatonic River. At almost 62 square miles, it is the largest town in the state. The Weantinock Indians, a sub-group of the Paugusset Nation, lived in the area of modern-day New Milford before and during the colonial period. They farmed and fished in freshwater areas. In 1702, 14 Indians conveyed a deed of "A Certain Tract of Land called Weeantenock" to the "Proprietors of New Milford" for "Sixty pounds Current money of this Colony of Connecticut and Twenty pounds in Goods." The Weantinocks left their Fort Hill land, where they had a large settlement and a fort. In 1707 the earliest settlers arrived and began creating farms and homesteads; they petitioned and were granted the privileges of a town in 1712. Many residents fought in the colonial wars and the Revolutionary War. Occom passed through New Milford at the end of December in 1774 during a fierce snow storm, but preached to a large gathering of people.