Newburgh

Variant name of place:

Newborough

Geographic position:

41.5197° N, 74.0214° W

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

http://www.cityofnewburgh-ny.gov/city-history. Geo coordinates from https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=geographic+coordinates+of+newburgh%2C+new+york.

General note:

Newburgh is a city located in southeastern New York state along the Hudson River. It is also the name of an adjacent town, which was part of the city until 1865 when the city split off from the town. Before the arrival of Europeans, the area was inhabited by the Waoranek Indians, members of the Lenape Tribe of the Algonquin people. In 1684, the governor of New York bought the area that would be Newburgh, along with the land comprising New Windsor, from the Waoranek Tribe for $200, cooking pots, scissors, cloth, shoes and other domestic items. In 1752, England officially recognized the Parish of Newburgh, named after Newborough, Scotland. Newburgh served as an encampment site for many troops during the American Revolution, and the British occupation of New York City caused the population of Newburgh to swell with colonial refugees. In 1800, Newburgh was incorporated.