Oneida

Variant name of place:

Onieda; Onoida; Onoyda; Onida; Onoyada; Onoyeda; Oneide

Geographic position:

43°5′6″N 75°39′12″W

Event:

Occom's First Mission to the Oneidas.

;

Occom's Second Mission to the Oneidas.

;

Occom's Third Mission to the Oneidas.

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

http://www.oneidacity.com/Our%20Community/our%20community.html; http://www.villageofvernonny.org/history.html; http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nymadiso/bit-of-past/borg/onehisto.htm;www.mpm.edu/wirp/icq-168.html. Geo coordinates at https://www.google.com/#q=geographic+coordinates+of+oneida.

General note:

Oneida is a city in Madison County located at the geographical center of New York state. Before European settlement of the area, the Oneida Tribe, one of the Six Nations of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, inhabited a large territory adjacent to nearby Oneida Lake. Around 1533, they built their first village on the south shore of the lake, at or near the mouth of Oneida Creek. At the end of the 17th century, this area began suffering raids by parties from the French colony of Quebec, in a battle to control the fur trade. In 1696, Oneida village was burned by the French. As a result, the Oneidas moved their chief village east of the original site, called Old Oneida, to a new site called Kanawalohale, also known as Oneida Castle, which was fortified by tall palisades and a moat. This is the site of the present-day village of Oneida Castle, a small hamlet west of the city of Oneida in the northwest corner of the town of Vernon. When used in Occom Circle documents, the place name "Oneida" usually refers to the territory inhabited by the Tribe east of Oneida Lake, but can also refer specifically to Oneida Castle. Although the Oneidas sided with the patriots during the Revolutionary War, much of their territory was sold or appropriated by the state of New York. In 1790, the first European settlers moved into the area of Old Oneida village, and the district began to expand. In the 1830s, the state built a feeder from Oneida Creek through the present city site to provide water for the new canal system, which enabled canal boats to ship freight into the town. Eventually, the railroad came through the town and helped with its expansion. This led to the incorporation of the Village of Oneida in 1848 and the establishment of the Town of Oneida in 1896. The town was chartered as the City of Oneida in 1901, and with two more railroad lines transecting the area, it became a thriving manufacturing center for the first half of the 20th century.