Newbury

Geographic position:

42.76667°N 70.84583°W

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

Currier, John. History of Newbury, Mass., 1635-1902. Boston: Damrell and Uphram, 1902. Web. http://magenweb.org/Essex/Newbury/history.htm. http://sonsanddaughtersofnewbury.org/essays-oldtown-hill-history.pdf. Geo coordinated from http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Newbury%2C_Massachusetts&params=42_46_00_N_70_50_45_W_type:city(6666)_region:US-MA.

General note:

Newbury is a town in northeastern Massachusetts in Essex County. The area was inhabited by the Pawtucket Indians when Europeans arrived in the 17th century. In 1635, a group of British settlers led by minister Thomas Parker came from Wiltshire, England, to Ipswich and soon moved to Quascacunquen, where they established a plantation and renamed the area Newbury. The town of Newbury was incorporated by the General Court of Massachusetts in 1635. The colonists wanted to secure their land, so they negotiated with the indigenous peoples. In 1700, the land that became Newbury (along with lands that became the towns of Bradford, Boxford, Gloucester, and Beverly) was deeded to the colonial town selectmen in exchange for 10 pounds. Newbury was home to Ebenezer Little, an important merchant and supporter of Wheelock’s Indian Charity school. During the American Revolution, most of the Newbury inhabitants sided with the colonists against the British. In 1764, Newburyport was separated from Newbury and incorporated as its own town. In 1819, West Newbury became a separate town and was incorporated.