Nassau Hall

Variant name of place:

Nassau-Hall

Geographic position:

40.3571° N, 74.6702° W

Event:

Occom's Ordination

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

http://www.princeton.edu/mudd/news/faq/topics/nassau.shtml. http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S13/52/88S74/index.xml. Geo coordinates from https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Princeton%2C+New+Jersey+Geographic+Coordinates.

General note:

Nassau Hall is a building located on the present-day campus of Princeton University in central New Jersey. Designed by architect Robert Smith, Nassau Hall was completed in 1756 and was meant to serve as living quarters for all 147 students attending what was then called the College of New Jersey. The Governor of New Jersey, Jonathan Belcher, gave the college its charter in 1746 and named the building Nassau Hall to honor William III of England, the former prince of Orange and Nassau. For many years, the College of New Jersey was referred to as Nassau Hall and also nicknamed Old North. The building consisted of a basement and three above ground stories. During the Revolutionary War, Nassau Hall was alternately occupied by British and American forces until it was ultimately surrendered to General Washington after the Battle of Princeton in 1777. The Continental Congress temporally met in Nassau Hall in the late eighteenth century, and when the British signed the Treaty of Paris recognizing American independence, this information was relayed to Congress in Nassau Hall. Although damaged during the Revolution, Nassau Hall was refurbished in 1791. Over the centuries, the building has survived several fires and renovations.