Lyme

Variant name of place:

Lime

Geographic position:

41.4000° N, 72.3500° W

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

http://www.oldsaybrookct.org/pages/oldsaybrookct_about/living_history. http://dunhamwilcox.net/town_hist/old_saybrook_hist.htm. http://visitoldlyme.com/history-of-the-lymes/. Geo coordinates from www.google.com/#q=Lyme%2C+CT+Geographic+Coordinates&safe=off

General note:

Lyme is a town in southern Connecticut located along the Connecticut River. The Niantic tribe inhabited the area when, around 1590, the Pequot Indians displaced them. The area that became Lyme was founded as part of the Saybrook settlement, which is located at the mouth of the Connecticut River. The Earl of Warwick established Saybrook in 1631, but it was not yet settled by the English. The Dutch purchased the Saybrook territory in 1633 from local Native peoples, but in 1665, before the Dutch could fully occupy the territory, Governor Winthrop of the colony of Connecticut sent armed men to prevent the Dutch from holding the land. Subsequently, the English settled and named the land Saybrook. In 1665, the land on the east bank of the Connecticut River was formally separated from Saybrook, and the General Connecticut Court named the separated land Lyme after the town of Lyme Regis in England. In 1669, the colonists purchased an eight square mile area of river valley from a Mohegan Indian named Chapeto and then purchased the Joshuatown area from the son of the Mohegan sachem, Uncas. In 1839, East Lyme became a separate town, and in 1854, Lyme was regionally divided into Old Lyme in the south and Lyme in the north.