Congregational Church, Hampton, CT

Variant name:

The Canada Society Church; The Second Congregational Church, Windham, CT

Address:

Hampton, CT

Description:

The Congregational Church in Hampton, CT, was orginally the Second Congregational Church in Windham Village, CT, also known as the Canada Society Church. Organized on June 5, 1723, it took its name from Canada Parish, comprising all of the village of Windham, which was named after David Canada, who built the first house in this area and kept the first tavern. Windham village later become the town of Hampton in 1786, and this church became the Congregational Church in Hampton. The Reverend Samuel Moseley, a close friend and supporter of Eleazar Wheelock's Indian School, was the pastor there from 1734 until his death in 1791.

All related documents: retrieve them
Sources:

Tenth Generation. www.family2remember.com/famtree/b28.htm; Windham County, CT, Genealogy and History. www.connecticutgenealogy.com/windham/hampton.htm.